Friday, September 3, 2010

Day Fifty five

Friday has arrived once more.  It has really lost its meaning now that my work schedule is so flakey.  But in the spirit of Labor Day, I'll rejoice in it's arrival just as if I've been working my butt off.  It's very generous of the powers that be to give the working man a day for himself.  Where else in the world do you get treated like crap 364 days of the year, and then on day 365 you get to feel guilty about not working.  Oh yea, only in America baby.
     I've started to do some research for a new tune.  Every year I enter a song into the Will McLean song writing competition, all entries must be written about Florida or it's inhabitants or history.   I usually have a problem with this, and I don't expect anything to change in the foreseeable future.   I was looking through a book called Weird Florida and stumbled onto a story about a little town called Gibsonton, where the carnival folks used to stay for the winter.  Yes, the bearded lady, the sword swallower, the flame thrower, a giant and his dwarfish wife.  It just doesn't get any better than this.  So I'll see if I can conjure up a tune based on this freakish bit of history.  Wish me luck.
   Until next week, here's your daily words of wisdom:

"Carnies built this country, the carnival part anyway".
   Homer Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment