Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day One Hundred Nine

 I'm progressing nicely with my studies here at Pretzel Stick Studio.  I just finished chapter six which dealt with programming drums in Ultrabeat, this is Logics drum program.  Actually a very cool program, it lays out a grid based on the tempo of your project.  Then you assign your choice of various drum kits to the grid, logic has quite a few different drum kits to choose from.  After you've selected which kit your going to use you just click on  the squares, each square on the grid represent one beat, and it inserts the selected sound.  After you get your basic beat down you can then open it in the piano roll editor, which is just a midi editor that looks like an old fashioned piano role sheet where holes in the paper trigger the note to be played, there you can run a humanize function to make it sound less mechanical.  It's really a pretty interesting process, and the results are very realistic.  It's like having a drummer without having to feed him.
     I'm also working on a new tune that's giving me a hard time.  This is one of those Florida tunes, I'm hoping to get it wrapped up and recorded in time to send into the Will McLean songwriting contest at the end of December.  Wish me luck.
  Until tomorrow, here's your daily dose of wisdom:

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Lily Tomlin 

No comments:

Post a Comment